Friday 11 March 2011

Day 1

Wow what a day!!!  Dropped Aimee to school this morning and headed back to Westport to start out on the 7 Day challenge.  As I was leaving town my brother in law, eamon, rang  to tell me he had his climb done and that to take care it was slippy coming down!  Wet miserable grey morning but no wind so that was a plus.  I was dressed for the weather so the rain didn't bother me too much but on the way into Westport the cloud parted slightly and I saw that there was snow on the summit.

Registered for the climb pulled on the rain gear and headed off on a solo climb.  Lot of people about and stopped for 5 chats along the way.  Strangest day I have ever climbed so far.  Wet and miserable all the way up to the ridge and then the rain got a bit sleety.  as I pressed forward it turned to proper snow.  It was then I bumped into a local that I have climbed with before and he told me there was a lot of snow on the summit and to be careful on the way down!  Eamon had said it was slippy but I assumed it was wet.  he never mentioned snow!!  This was to be a first for me.  Never climbed in snow before!  Undaunted I carried on.  The summit is fab in the snow!  Hung around for a while up top on the first climb.  Chatted to a few people did a few bits and bobs for a couple of people and headed back down.  I decided the the snow at this stage was deep enough to attack the decent and that is just what I did.  I took a route to the right of the main track and walked/jogged down off the cone.  It was great fun!!  climb one in under the two hours.





























Sat in with a few fellow climbers and had a vary welcomed hot cup of soup and a few hang sangwichs!  I was fairly wet and starting to feel the cold so I headed back up with in a half an hour or so.  (time are approx as I kind of lost track of time!)  Headed back up with two lads one of who was on his second climb of the day.  i stayed with them for a while but pace was a bit slow for me so I said goodbye and headed of alone.  Still wet and shitty for the first half of the climb but the snow was a welcome sight on the ridge.  Met another second time climber (Eoin) on the ridge and climbed with him to the cone.  The snow was falling harder than the first climb and it was a real winter wonder land.  Left Eoin at the start of the cone and stuck at my own pace which I was surprised I was able to keep up on climb 2.  Got to the top and didn't hang around too long.  A snowman had been built behind the church since I was up last!  I took a photo for a guy with him standing beside it and he returned the favour!  Headed straight back down and took a similar approach to the last time!  People that had met me on decent one that I met again on assent one were great for the words of encouragement.  That kind of banter keep motivation up and spirits high.  All of descent 2 on my own but that was fine apart from the fact that the iPod battery had died on the way up!








So that was another first for me today!  Never climbed twice in the one day before.  Didn't know how it would go but am delighted that i was not only able for it but was able to keep similar pace on both climbs.  A really enjoyable day.  Worst part of the day is easily the lack of shower facility at the Reek.  I had to resort to using a cubicle in the public toilets to dry off and change!  Disgusting!!!!

Rounded off a great day with a chinese takeaway with D, Aimee, Mum and Dad!

I'm pooped so off to bed!  Thanks for stopping by and I'll be back real soon!! 

Greg

2 comments:

  1. Good job, bro! Did you 'have one' with that chinese?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greg
    Your doing a great job,we are all so proud of you here in Mosaic.
    We miss the craic with you this week; but hay your fellow climbers will benefit from your good wit.........
    Say wee prayer for all of us when you visit the church (You do visit I hope??????)
    Take care
    from all your friends in Mosaic Centre :)

    ReplyDelete