Saturday 12 March 2011

Day 2

Earlier start today.  I arrived in the carpark before 9am.  there had been snow in the fields on the way over so I expected there to be more snow on the mountain today and I wasn't disappointed.  The mountain looked amazing but I knew it would be a tougher climb than yesterday.  Loads of people about the carpark and a good vibe in the air. Met Eamon as he finished at 9.05!!!  Early start!!  He confirmed my thoughts of a tough climb ahead.  I was to climb with Matt Loughrey today.  Matt is on his 281st consecutive climb of his targeted 365!   He arrived just before I met Eamon.  Matt had arranged to meet a group of school kids from Dublin!  34 kids on a snow covered mountain!!  First climb was a slow one.  Slowest for a long time.  A good mixture of chat, meetings, waiting and fresh snow lower down the mountain than yesterday lead to the slower ascent.  I decided to pull away from Matt and Megan just before the shoulder as I was getting cold at a slower pace.  I went off track half way along the shoulder and had great craic in the fresh snow that was 4ft drifts in places.  Made the climb more interesting, fun but tiring!  Fairly deep!



Got to the top eventually and it was bitterly cold up there.  Loads of people milling about up there.  Church was full of some of the school kids from Dublin so I took a wander about outside.  Someone had scrawled 365 in the snow on the church door in Matts honor.  I wasn't sure how far behind Matt was so I took a shot of it.  I thought it would have been great to get it with Matt in it!  Just as I was about to leave he arrived over the brow so I got the shot!








Headed back down with Matt and Megan as they didn't wait around up there today.  Great fun coming down!  Most people were creeping and crawling their way down.  We on the other hand took a line down by the banked snow on the left of the track!  It was good fun cos if you slipped or fell you just fell sideways into a soft 5ft bank of snow!!  Once we got to the end of the first section of the cone we went off track again!  We were able to run/jog in that snow and there were quite a few slips and falls but always landing in lovely soft deep snow.  Good auld laugh.  Managed to loose Matt somehow for a while along the way!!  He stops to talk to everyone and everyone wants to talk to the 365 guy.  That must be a great feeling and it definitely keeps him going and will get him through his challenge.  I pushed on ahead on my own again as I was mindful of the second climb and it felt like we were on the mountain for ages.  Towards the bottom I met a guy from Donegal.  We had a good chat as we walked and he told me he was down for the week to do the seven days.  He also told me about his 4 year old daughter who has autism and this was his reason for climbing.  His daughter is fortunate enough in that she is getting all the support she needs for the stage she is at but he knows not all parent of children with autism are as fortunate.

Got down from climb one and head straight for the soup and sandwich's that the good folk from the 7 Day Challenge provide all day every day for the climbers.  3 hours for climb one but a very enjoyable climb so what about!  Twenty minutes later I was heading back up.  Major change in the weather!  Sun was out, sky was blue and you could see the church on the top clearly from the car park.  Maybe I might get the view of the bay this time.  I need this climb to be quicker as I wanted to be home before 5.  Just as I was leaving I met Matt and Megan again.  The had opted for a roast dinner over a second climb!  Off I went solo for climb two.  The views were better at the start of climb 2 and judging by the extra swell of water in the stream I was guessing the snow was melting further up.






One of the things I love about the climbing is the people.  I make a point of saying hello to as many of the people I pass as I possibly can.  In general people response and sometimes conversations spark up.  I love when I am on the second ascent or decent and I pass some one I have passed on climb one and they look in surprise and say things like "are you going up again?" or "did I not just meet you going down?"  always followed by "fair play to go" and "good luck with it" and ofter "you must be mad".  Ascent two was a good one.  Made good time even though I stopped to take a few shots.  Went off track again but not as far off as first climb.  Snow had thinned out at the start but got the good stuff the further up I went up.  I'm not sure if I made it harder on myself by taking that route.  with no snow it is quicker but in snow?  Who cares!  It gives a great sense of adventure!












The visitor centre was open today so I was able to have a much needed hot shower after the two climbs.  A welcome change to yesterdays awful experience of having to dry off and change in the public toilets in the carpark!  The shower was welcome but costly!!  €5 for a shower!  Smacks a little of rip off Ireland or as someone said rip off reek!!!  Got a call from D on the way home to say she was in Eamons house so I headed there and was treated to lunch.  Watched the rugby there too and that is a subject I am not willing to talk about!!  Gutted.  Then home for a lovely stir fry cooked by my wonderful wife who is really getting behind me with this challenge.  Even though she is worried about all this snow she is still willing to give climbing a go on Monday.  Looking forward to that climb.

Tomorrow is a rest day of sorts as I am only doing one climb as I have to play golf at 12.10.  We are in the final of a league we have been playing in all winter so it is important enough.  It will mean an early start though.  I would like to see more of my bed!  I wonder what St Patrick would have made of his bed this morning?


Not sure how many people are following this blog but those that are I hope you are enjoying it and are able to put up with text that is not proof read and all the spelling mistakes!!!  tune in tomorrow for the next installment!

Greg

ps -  Special thanks to my brother David for coming down from Galway to give me the loan of his camera for the rest of the challenge!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! Good luck tomorrow to yourself and D - x And nice pics by the way....

    ReplyDelete
  2. great stuff,really lovely to read and i think i was one of the many to say "you going up again"...on day 2 that is
    Good Luck
    Hilda Hughes Gilligan

    ReplyDelete