Tuesday 15 March 2011

Day 5


There was a good covering of frost this morning when I got up and looked out the window.  First thoughts were the condition that a night of frost would leave the mountain?  Otherwise it was a smashing morning with clear blue skies and good sunshine.  Climbing a little later today as I have to bring Aimee to school before heading over to Westport.  I packed up the car with all the bits and bobs that make up a day at the Reek.  I have for the first time today a decent camera with me thanks to my brother David.  He arrived down on Sunday to give me the loan of his camera for the rest of the week.  Today was the first day I was happy to bring it with me as it looked like it was going to be a dry one.  The body was tired and the calves were sore this morning so I had to drag myself up and out.

The drive over to Westport was nice with the Reek coming in and out of view all the way over.  It looked fantastic with the sun shining on its white blanket of snow.  Flutters of nervousness and excitement tickled my stomach on each bend that exposed the view of the mountain.  I finally had to stop on the way into Westport to take a shot of it.

I got to the carpark and found Dermot and Karen sipping coffee in the canteen.  Climb one day five began.  What a fabulous morning for a climb and a complete contrast to the weather of the last few days.  There was still snow on the summit so I expected the cold weather and snow climbing for part of the trail but on the early stage there was more than a hint of summer.  First part of the climb was full of chatter and passing salutations to fellow climbers.  Passed Johnny Oosten and his sister and a few others on the way up.  Had a brief chat with Paddy Mc Guinness about politics and the hope for the future of the country with our new leader.  Onwards towards the ridge.  The end of the first testing climb and considered by many to be the toughest part of the climb.  There I caught up with other regulars that I have normally been passing in the opposite direction.  Today as we were all going in the same direction and having a break at the same time we all got to chat and to take photographs for each other.  One of the group, Aoife, introduced herself as knowing my wife and having read the blog.  Everyone in great spirits and probably a lot to do with the sense of achievement at getting to day five and to be rewarded with such a beautiful day and the magnificent view that accompanied it.  Onwards up the Holy mountain.  The snow has definitely  receded and the regular track is becoming clearer.  The cone still has a good cover of snow on climb one but offers the choice of climbing on the loose stone or on snow.  I chose a mixture of both.  The way I see it, I can climb on stone any time but snow is a rarity so experiencing climbing on it while it lasts appeals to me.  On the cone a climber, Tracy, asks if I am Greg.  I say yes and she said that she has been reading the blog and congratulated me on it and I thing she thanked me.  Anyway it was great to get that feedback and puts pressure on me to keep the blog going!  Once again on the summit chatting to a guy (sorry didn’t get your name!) he asks “oh are you the guy with the blog?”

On the summit today there were 360 degree views of the whole of the county.  If my geography was better I could tell you all what I was looking at!!!  I know one side!  Clew bay with Clare Island looking majestic, Westport, Newport and Nephin in all their glory.  Breathtaking stuff.  Lots of great snow up there too!  A lot of messing about in the snow before heading back down!!!  Good fun.  Just before we headed down Johnny and his entourage arrived up.  Denise was a first time climber was delighted with herself and seemed genuinely euphoric at her achievement. I was later to discover that her climb today was one of the things she wants to do before she dies and is currently battling cancer.  She has made the decision to come off the medication in favour of a better quality of life and it opting for a mind over matter approach to her illness.  I must say you would not know she was ill.  Every climber has a story and I was thinking after meeting Denise that the likes of Ian Mc Keever (5 climbs a day for 7 days!!!) miss out on this side of the Reek in pursuit of their personal records.  I like to have the time to hear the stories.

Down at base safe and sound and refuel with soup and sandwiches and the decision was made to do climb 2 and a better pace.  That’s just what we did.  The quicker pace resulted in much sweat and a lot less chat! 

The rate of thaw on the mountain was something else between climb one and two and even the return from the summit on climb two saw a lot less snow.  Thankfully there was still more than enough snow for my preferred route stomping down though the deep drifts.  I reckon it is easier on the joints going this way on the soft stuff over the stones.  Today may have been the last opportunity to snow climb any so why not do it!  Only downside to that route is that you miss out on meeting people on the cone.  The remainder of the climb down was a very pleasant chatty one in brilliant weather.  One lair was even removed for the first time this week.  It would be fantastic if this weather held on till the last climber finishes on Thursday!  No snow and safer climbing conditions mean that Dairín will accompany me on my last climb of this years challenge!  Great news.

There are a few people that deserve a mention on this blog.  There are a small number that are keeping this whole 7 Day Challenge on track.  Johnny’s wife and Pats mother and their team providing sustenance with a smile to every weary climber all day long.  I have never seen them in bad form or heard a cross word from any of them.  They are super troopers!!  Next to Pat and Siobhan.  The husband and wife team that are making sure that all climbers are accounted for and see everyone off with a smile and a wave.  Long days for a couple who have a family to look after and the parents of the child who was the inspiration for this event.  And then there is Johnny.  Johnny climbs every day and spend a lot more time on the mountain than it takes it him to climb!  He does this so that he can meet as many of the one day and seven day climbers, have a chat, tell them how well they are doing and to thank them.  We were just saying today how important this is to climbers and that they feel valued for their efforts by this personal contact.  Thank you one and all behind this wonderful event.

I would also take this opportunity to thank Karen & Seamus, Patrick, Gwen, Coleen and John for their donations today.  Wow! I am delighted with how much money I am going to be able to hand over to Mayo Autism Action.  Making every step of every climb so worthwhile.  You guys have been so generous!

Right ho!  Time for the laba!  Two more climbs await!  See you all tomorrow! Photos of today below!

Greg



































3 comments:

  1. Brilliant pics, bro! Well done! x I think I'll read all these to the girls tomorrow if we are still all home sick....they'll get a kick out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aisling saw a face in one of the snow pictures.....spooooky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. emotional stuff, just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete